Saturday, December 5, 2009

Holiday Challenge Day 5 - Chinese Chews


Once upon a time, I thought making a bar cookie was a form of baking cheatery.  A congo bar just didn't hold the same allure as a chocolate chip cookie or a sand tart that required a rolling pin, cookie cutters, and sprinkles to make.  No matter how great they tasted, bar cookies inevitably fell to the bottom of the heap in my personal hierarchy of homemade cookie-dom.

I'd like to think that my outlook on cookie making has matured over the last 20 years (okay, it's more like 30 years, but who's counting?).  As a kid you're kind of oblivious to the amount of time and energy making cut-out (and sometimes even drop cookies) requires.  As an adult, quite frankly, the thought of rolling and cutting and decorating cookies makes me want to stick my head in the oven with it on high.  Although you will never find me using "cheater" dough from the grocery store, you will frequently find my cookie jar filled with bar cookies.  And some pretty delectable ones at that. 

One such recipe that I have in my stash is an old family favorite - Chinese Chews.  Like a lot of the bar cookies that I make, this one starts out with a shortbread-like crust, and is topped with a mixture that I can only describe as pecan pie-esque (although it includes coconut too).  This year I was struck by the idea that semi-sweet morsels might be a welcome addition to the mix.  I vaguely remember making a pecan/coconut/chocolate chip pie that was a huge hit last Christmas.  So I made a pan of each - one original recipe and one with chocolate chips.  I have one word for you.  Brilliant.  Because really, what isn't better with a bit of chocolate?  So take your pick - below is a recipe with options for whichever you choose, with chocolate or without.  Both were simply scrumptious!

As one last aside, I will mention that I almost always make the Chinese Chews and the Millionaire Shortbread as a double batch.  Even though recipes like these like to say they make 81 pieces, that's only if you cut them in 1" x 1" squares.  And in my book a 1-inch square does not a cookie make!  What it makes is me...cranky.  So I opt to cut them on the larger side, but still manage to get 30-40 bars per 9-inch square pan. 

Chinese Chews
Makes 40 2" x 1" bars

Crust:
¼ pound (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar





Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Using a fork or a pastry cutter, mix all 3 ingredients together until crumbly (like pie crust). Pat into a 9" x 9" square pan lightly coated with cooking spray (I lined my pans with foil and sprayed with cooking spray so they were easier to take out and cut at the end).  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly.

Topping:
2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts*

Confectioners sugar for dusting

*If you choose to make these with chocolate chips, reduce nuts to 3/4 cup and add 1/4 cup semi-sweet mini morsels.




Mix all ingredients together and pour on crust.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.  Run knife around edge very soon after removing from oven. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Cool and cut into pieces.

1 comment:

  1. These look soooo yummy! I am getting so inspired!!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete