Thursday, December 10, 2009

Holiday Challenge Day 10 - Pecan Tassies


Pie.  Pie.  Pie.  I love pie.  And really, who doesn't?  Apple, blueberry, chocolate, pumpkin, rhubarb - it comes in so many different varieties, there's one for virtually every taste, whether you like it sweet or tart, custardy or fruity.  With ice cream, with whipped cream, or all by its lonesome, pie is a regular staple on most people's holiday dessert tables, including my own. 


Growing up, mine was a family of pie lovers (we even ate it for breakfast!), but as a Connecticut Yankee, it wasn't til I crossed the Mason-Dixon line that I was introduced to the wonders of pecan pie.  And wondrous it is!  Sweet and nutty with a flaky crust, it's no wonder it's a Southern holiday dessert favorite.


Seeing as it's also one of my favorites, you'd think I'd be writing about making pecan pie during my holiday challenge.  But the sad truth is that like Superman with kryptonite, pie dough brings me to my knees, rendering me powerless and a wee peevish to boot.  So, in an effort to maintain an aura of holiday cheer, I instead share with you this recipe for Pecan Tassies, miniature versions of pecan pie, and every bit as good. 


Pecan Tassies
Makes 2 dozen
Planters.com
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup flour
1 egg
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
3 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted


Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add flour; mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or until chilled.


Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide dough into 24 balls. Place one ball in each of 24 miniature muffin pan cups; press onto bottoms and up sides of cups to form shells. Set aside. Beat egg lightly in small bowl. Add sugar and vanilla; mix well. Stir in pecans. Spoon evenly into pastry shells, filling each shell three-fourths full.


Bake 25 min. or until lightly browned. Let stand 5 min. in pans; remove to wire racks. Cool completely. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Let stand until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment