Sunday, December 20, 2009

Holiday Challenge Day 20 - Oreo Truffles


If I remember correctly, in the early '70s, there was only one kind of Oreo - what's no doubt now referred to in cookie circles as the "classic" -  2 crunchy chocolate cookies bound together with a creamy filling.  Surely you remember:
"Oh, oh, oh, ice cold milk and an Oreo Cookie. They forever go together, what a classic combination. When a dark, delicious cookie meets an icy cold sensation. Like the one and only creamy, crunchy, chocolate, O-R-E-O!" (Nabiscoworld.com)
Oh yeah.  Even I appreciate a good old fashioned store-bought Oreo.  Me.  The girl who snubs her nose at cheater cookie dough and mass-produced pastry.  And, apparently, so do many of you (appreciate an Oreo, that is).  Because the brand has expanded to include not only Double Stuf (1975 - remember?), but in recent years also Golden Oreos, Oreo Fudgees, Oreo Cakesters, Mini Oreos, Oreo Ice Cream Cones, Milk Chocolate Covered Mint Oreos, and Oreo Sippers (sticklike cookies that can be used as a straw), just to name a few.  Wikipedia.com claims that over 491 BILLION Oreo cookies have been sold since their debut.  Wow.  That's a lot.  But I can see how it happened.  Because right now I feel like I've eaten 491 billion Oreo Truffles.  Today.  All by myself.

Yes, just 24 hours ago I was bemoaning the fact that I'd made a cookie I didn't like.  And yes, today I'm kvetching because I made something that I did like. Too much.  Way too much.  All I can say is...ohhhhhhh....no more Oreo Truffles.  And could ya pass the Pepto, please?  But first, let me unbutton my waistband and tell you about these little gems.  If they aren't already in your repertoire of holiday sweets, they absolutely should be.  Because if you think Oreos are delightful in their natural state, as truffles, they are downright irresistible.  Crumbs from the Oreos are combined with softened cream cheese to create a velvety chocolate mixture with full-on Oreo flavor (because the cream cheese acts as a silent partner of sorts).  Rolled into balls, the mixture is then dipped in chocolate.  Last year I used semi-sweet chocolate and thought they were so-so.  But this year I dipped and swirled them in white chocolate, and the resulting truffles were absolutely irresistible - like a White Fudge Covered Oreo, with a soft center, of course.  All I can say is...Way to go O-R-E-O!

Oreo Truffles
Makes 42
Kraft Food & Family magazine

Ingredients
1 (16 ounce) package Oreo chocolate sandwich cookies
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 (8 ounce) packages semi-sweet or white baking chocolate, melted

Directions
1.Crush 9 of the cookies to fine crumbs in food processor; reserve for later use. (Cookies can also be finely crushed in a resealable plastic bag using a rolling pin.) Crush remaining 36 cookies to fine crumbs; place in medium bowl. Add cream cheese; mix until well blended. Roll cookie mixture into 42 balls, about 1-inch in diameter.  Note:  I refrigerated the mixture for an hour prior to rolling and again after forming it into balls. 
2.Dip balls in chocolate; place on wax paper-covered baking sheet. (Any leftover chocolate can be stored at room temperature for another use.) Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs.
3.Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Store leftover truffles, covered, in refrigerator.

How to How to Easily Dip Truffles:  Place truffle ball in melted chocolate to coat; roll if necessary. Lift truffle from chocolate using 2 forks (this will allow excess chocolate to run off) before placing on wax paper.

1 comment:

  1. Someone you know (Paul) brought some of these into work and shared them. They were great! I'm printing this out so my daughters can try them.
    Swithin.

    ReplyDelete