Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Holiday Challenge Day 2 - Laird's Larder Millionaire Shortbread...It's Twix-A-Licious!


Shortbread.  Toffee.  Chocolate.  Who wouldn't agree that each are quite delicious in their own right?  But when combined together, well...they're a trifecta of Twix-A-Licious tastiness!!  The thought of which makes me all warm and giddy inside.  Oh wait.  Maybe the warm and giddy is from the rum balls.  But who cares?!  Because what I'm talking about is Millionaire Shortbread, a scrumptious confection with a flaky, buttery shortbread crust, an ooey, gooey toffee-caramel middle layer, and a rich chocolate glaze.  Have a bite and you'll be giddy too - I guarantee it!

Although this recipe comes courtesy of my awesome aunt, I just had to wonder about it's title.  Laird's Larder Millionaire Shortbread...Who or what is Laird?  Where exactly is this larder?  And why Millionaire Shortbread?  Enquiring minds want to know.  So I did what any inquisitive individual would do...I turned to Google.  Well, actually, I turned to Swagbucks (which is powered by Google) because not only am I inquisitive, I also like to earn free stuff by doing virtually nothing.  But that's a story for a different day.  Today we talk shortbread.  So.  Where was I?  The internet.  Right-o.  A quick search indicated that the Laird's Larder is a food retailer over in the U.K.  Shortbread...U.K.  Makes sense.  Sadly, though, the Laird's Larder doesn't post recipes on its site (stingy, stingy - share, people, share!).  So I turned to another site with a Millionaire Shortbread recipe of its own, hoping to find a reason behind the name.  According to the author, it's called Millionaire Shortbread simply because the end result is so rich.  Huh.  Who woulda thought...

Surprisingly, I found this recipe incredibly easy to make (even the daunting use-a-candy-thermometer caramel/toffee layer).  As a result, you will find this blog free of trials, tribulations, and corresponding British-inspired comments like "bollocks" and "bloody he**".  It's a shame, really.  I was so looking forward to using them.  Oh well.  Enjoy the shortbread.  They are, in the words of one infamous Brit, "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"!  (Did you get that?  Mary Poppins?  British?  Heh heh.)



NOTE:  I actually wrote most of this prior to finishing the glaze for the shortbread.  And guess what?  I chose to heat the water for the glaze in my microwave in an ANCHOR HOCKING glass bowl that is "oven and microwave safe".  Not.  My bowl blew to bits in the microwave in less than 2 minutes.  Bloody he**.   But no shortbread or individuals were hurt in this incident :)

Laird's Larder Millionaire Shortbread

Shortbread:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil so that the foil extends 2 inches beyond the ends of the pan.  Lightly butter bottom and sides of foil.  In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Gradually add the flour and mix until the dough holds together.  It will be somewhat dry, and you can use your hands to make it bind together.  Press dough into the pan and bake 10 to 15 minutes, until light golden brown.  Cool completely.

Toffee:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
7 ounces sweetened condensed milk

In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Cook until mixture reaches 200 degrees on candy thermometer (usually 8-10 minutes).  It should be thick and light brown in color.  If it separates, beat with a whisk for 30 seconds.  Pour over cooled shortbread and spread evenly.  Allow to cool for 30 minutes before glazing.

Glaze:
1/4 cup water
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil.  Remove from heat.  Add chocolate.  Stir until melted, and let cool until slightly thickened.  Spread over toffee layer.  Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes or until glaze is set. 

Using foil, lift shortbread out of pan.  Cut into 81 1" squares.  Ah yeah.  More like 40 2" x 1" squares.  Or 10 4" x 2" squares.  It's entirely up to you.

2 comments:

  1. For those too young to have been raised at the foot of a mother who read many Harlequin romances, I always thought that "Laird" is the title bestowed upon Scottish (not Scotch--that is a whiskey) lord. I imagine that some lairds are millionaires and others are not. Also being the possessor of a lovely Webster's New World Collegiate Dictionary, presented to me by two of the most wonderful teachers ever to live in a land of mums and blueberries, I read that a laird is a Scottish landowner, often wealthy. sorry about your bowl. Maybe you should ask Santa for a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear, you are better than Google! It makes perfect sense now. I imagine I could ask Santa for a new bowl - I'm just glad there weren't shards of glass in my shortbread (as that would have been tragic, for sure).

    May I also note here that I should not have referenced these as a homemade Twix-like bar...because they are far, far better than a Twix could EVER be.

    ReplyDelete