Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Holiday Challenge Day 22 - Hazelnut Filled Sandwich Cookies


If truth be told, I can't really say that I was a girl of discriminating taste at an early age. Technically, I don't think I can claim to be a girl of discriminating taste now. But no matter what my age, I do usually know a good thing when I try it, especially if it's something sweet and chocolatey.   Like that magical choco-hazelnut spread called Nutella. 

When I was growing up, my friend Jen had an aunt and uncle stationed overseas with the military. I have no idea the path that it took to get there, but courtesy of those relatives, a jar of Nutella made it's way into her kitchen. And my life was changed forever.  I'm pretty sure we ate it on toast.  I'm pretty sure I wanted to eat it on everything, and no doubt shamelessly coveted her Nutella while choking down a slice of peanut butter toast for breakfast.  Because the cold, hard truth is this:  peanut butter's passe when you can put chocolate spread on your bread!

Lucky for me, Nutella is now available in most grocery stores.  Which means I can have my own jar any time.  On anything.  Like the Hazelnut Filled Sandwich Cookies that I made this morning, just in time for breakfast.  Two fresh-baked oatmeal cookies sealed with a smidgen of Nutella.  Good stuff.  Whether you eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or any time in between. 

Hazelnut Filled Sandwich Cookies
Makes 48 sandwiches
Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookies 2001

Ingredients
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (Nutella or other brand)

Preparation:
1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat shortening in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.  Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; beat til combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.  Beat in egg and vanilla til combined.  Beat in as much flour as you can.  Stir in any remaining flour and the oats.  Shape dough into 3/4 inch balls.  Place balls 1 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased cookies sheet; flatten with the bottom of a glass into 1-inch circles.
2.  Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or til edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned.  Transfer to wire racks and cool.
3.  Spread flat sides of half the cookies with a scant 1/2 teaspoon chocolate-hazelnut spread.  Top with the remaining cookies, flat sides down.

To Store:  Place in layers separated by wax paper in an airtight container; cover.  Store in the refrigerator up to 3 days or freeze unfilled cookies up to 3 months; thaw, then fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment