Sunday, December 13, 2009

Holiday Challenge Day 13 - Sour Cream Pound Cake


Hypothetically, wouldn't it be awesome if you could eat an entire pound cake and only gain a pound?  (Yes, it would no doubt make you sick, but I'm speaking in hypotheticals here).   Regrettably, that's never the case, though, is it?  In fact, you know the old saying, "A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips."?  Sadly, I am living proof that it is, indeed, a fact.  I have a sneaking suspicion that my hips are still toting around the cream cheese pound cake I made for Christmas ten years ago.  And the fudge from five years ago.  And the chocolate cream pie from three years ago.  And...well, you get the picture.  So, while my fat cells scream for joy each time I whip up another decadent dessert or sweet treat, I'm trying really hard not to bake (and eat) so much that I'll be screaming in horror when (if) I step on the scale January 2nd. 

I'm sure it's no surprise to any of you that most pound cakes are laden with butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream or cream cheese, and usually lots of it.  "Why, of course," you say, "That's what makes them taste so good!"  I agree.  Wholeheartedly.  I just love a thick slice of dense, moist pound cake, especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or drenched in chocolate fondue.   But surely there has to be some kind of culinary compromise, something both pleasing to the taste and to the waistline.  The question at hand?  Can I have my (pound) cake and eat it too? 

Well, with this recipe courtesy of Cooking Light, I pretty much can.  I am not going to lie to you and say, "Oh it's every bit as good as the original!!  I couldn't taste the difference at all!!"  Because you would know I was lying.  And I've been too good this year to risk getting coal in my stocking.  So, let's be honest.  The simple fact of the matter is that when you replace butter with margarine, use egg substitute instead of whole eggs, and swap out full-fat sour cream for low-fat, it's kind of inevitable that the texture and the flavor will change.  But don't get me wrong.  This pound cake, with it's sweet, lightly crusted top and moist, delicately dense interior (because how, pray tell, do you describe a light pound cake?!) is a pretty good substitute for the real thing, either au naturel or paired with your favorite topping. 



Sour Cream Poundcake
Yield: 24 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
Cooking Light, November/December 1993

Ingredients
3 cups sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) margarine, softened*
1 1/3 cups egg substitute
1 1/2 cups low-fat sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cooking spray

*Note: I must admit that while I was okay with using low-fat sour cream and egg substitute, I would not, could not use margarine instead of butter.  Call me a rebel.  (And, yes, I do know that at least in part defeats the purpose of trying to make a "light" pound cake)


Preparation
Preheat oven to 325°.  Beat sugar and margarine at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes). Gradually add egg substitute, beating well.  Combine sour cream and baking soda. Stir well; set aside. Combine flour and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.  Pour batter into a 10-inch tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. My pound cake was done in about 75 minutes, so you may want to watch the time carefully. 

Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan. Let cool completely on a wire rack. 

Note: Eight egg whites can be used in place of egg substitute, if desired. Add one at a time to sugar mixture.

Nutritional Information
Calories:250 (28% from fat)
Fat:7.7g (sat 2.3g,mono 3.1g,poly 1.9g)
Protein:3.5g
Carbohydrate:41.9g
Fiber:0.0g
Cholesterol:6mg
Iron:1.8mg
Sodium:170mg
Calcium:25mg

No comments:

Post a Comment